a few weeks ago...
Monday, 3 October 2011
Lots of things have been happening since I last
posted, and as a result I havn't really made much
new work for some time now..
However, now that things have settled a bit I
plan to start working on some ideas.
I also have a space waiting for me at the gallery I work
at, so that should be all teh insentive I need to make work :p
For now though, I'm going to put up some polaroids I took on
my recent trip to Hong Kong.
It was quite an experience and something I'm hugely glad I did.
Rather than describing teh trip etc, I'll take the simple option and
let the photos do that for me...
Friday, 22 July 2011
Wednesday, 6 July 2011
Thursday, 30 June 2011
I have tried manipulating the various layers a bit
more with these. Doing feels almost like mixing and
overworking paint on a canvas.
I aiming to try and acquire some found polaroids to
then bring through this process. Both as a way of
re-animating the image/memory, and also as a way of
almost making the image mine, despite my not knowing
of the history or events behind it.
Saturday, 25 June 2011
interesting, I didn't really feel there was anywhere I
could take them.
So, this led me to try out the "emulsion lift/transfer"
process. Although most of the stuff I read about it
either recommended using specific film (669) or 35mm
slide film. Freshly processed film was also recommended..
However I couldn't see why it wouldn't work with standard
600 film processed a few years ago, and besides I don't have
any fresh film to use.
When I was applying the emulsion image to the watercolour paper,
I was trying to pull bits apart and alter the image in different ways.
This was at odds with the examples I had seen, where the images
had obviously been carefully transferred so as to keep them as
intact and as recognisable as possible.
Anyway I'm pretty pleased with the results, and I have more
Monday, 20 June 2011
Ideally I think it is intended to be done with freshly
taken film, but I managed to get some quite subtle,
but quite beautiful results with quite old film.
I found that soaking the polaroids in hot water for five
or so minutes allows for the emulsion to peel far easier.
I have some ideas of where to take this, so stay tuned for
Friday, 10 June 2011
After first trying out this technique for the exhibition at
the end of my Brighton residency, I decided to re-explore it.
It involves cutting a multi-part stencil which is then laid over
sections of vintage FB photographic paper. After a few days
the nature of the paper being light sensitive means that the area
covered by the stencil has not had a chance to expose, thus leaving
a ghost like copy of the stencil behind.
When I did this for the Brighton exhibition, it was with the intention of
allowing the image to fade over a number of days. However I wanted
to find a way of preserving the image by stopping the the paper exposing.
I thought it might take a bit of trial and error with different methods, but
it turns out that using chemical darkroom fixer and properly washing the
paper afterwards preserves the image perfectly.
I plan to keep working on this method, altering the way I fix the paper,
trying different papers and working on larger/more complex imagery.
Images to follow.
For one reason or another (me being lazy) it's been
quite a while since I actually posted anything...
But now I have two good reasons to.
Number 1: I have new work
Number 2: I'm involved in an exciting upcoming
project/performance/exhibition taking place in Soho.
Firstly the exhibition.
It is called Come Cut and is a performance/exhibition of
sorts, that gives anyone and everyone the chance to alter a
piece of artwork from an artist (4 or 5 currently) via a carefully,
or not so carefully made cut/incision.
The concept firstly (and most obviously) alludes to the current
funding cuts being made across the arts. However it also tackles
the notion of the perceived aura around a piece of art. Something
that may have taken its creator weeks, if not months, to create.
How will an individual react when given free reign to slice apart a
canvas, photograph or sculpture?
Overall I think it's a pretty unique idea that has both elements of fun
and spontaneity, but also an underlying message. Below is a link with
all the information regarding booking your slot to cut, a Facebook link
to RSVP and directions to the location.
Sunday, 13 March 2011
to try out a few things with.
It took me some time to actually get round to using it,
but I have, and below are the results.
The idea was to cast an object inside two layers of the
resin, as opposed to using it to take a cast of something.
I ended up using a small piece of till roll paper that I had
made a print on to, using enamel paint, a few years ago.
I could definitely turn this into a very interesting series of
works. But for now, because of the price of the resin itself,
thi will remain as just a test until I can afford to buy the resin
in larger quantities....
Saturday, 12 March 2011
Below is a link to a seperate facebook artist page
that I recently set up.
While I'm working towards getting my website underway,
it seems like a good idea to have a place to have all of
my current and pass work easily accessable.
Keep an eye out for sporadic updates!
Sunday, 27 February 2011
some new (old) photopaper I got the other day.
The weight applied when pushing my hand and foot
down on the paper has actually left a very fine indent
of the lines of my hand/foot on the paper...
They have faded a bit since taking these scans, but I
think I could use it to map the lines of something on a
Also I need to post some photos of my first clear resin test.
It's turned out better than I thought, and is definately a medium
that I think I could explore much further..